What is a voice-over?
Video is a great way to tell your story, but it's even better when you add a voice-over.
But what exactly is a voice-over? Well, let me break it down for you: Voice-over is a production technique where an off-camera actor or person records dialogue for use in a film, TV show, commercial, documentary, radio advertising, online video during the post-production process.
It's usually done after all the other scenes have been filmed and edited together; then they'll add in the voice-over to go with the existing footage.
A good voice-over artist will be able to convey emotion and make viewers feel like they're part of the action.
Voice-over content may be used in a production to provide additional context for the narration or visuals, as well as other purposes.
With the help of voice, sound effects, and music, your video becomes alive and dynamic. It acquires meaning and value.
Why it is important?
Voice-overs are a great way to enhance your video. But, how do you know if you should use them?
Storytelling is essential for developing and maintaining relationships with customers. It helps them connect to your company or brand, understand who you are, and become loyal consumers of your products or services.
Adding videos with voice-overs to your marketing strategy can be a smart move for any type of digital platform.
Businesses that use voice-over in their marketing create a stronger connection with potential customers and can convert more prospects into buyers.
Types of Voice-Over work
If you're looking to get your message out there, voice-overs are a great way to do it.
Voice-overs can be used for many different purposes and in a variety of ways, including:
- Narration: A voice-over is used to provide the narration for an educational video or documentary. This may include providing the spoken commentary to accompany the visuals on screen, which can help to keep viewers focused on what they are watching and encourage them to learn more about what they see.
- Commercial or Advertisement: A voice-over can be used in commercials to explain what product or service your business is offering. It can also be used to describe the benefits of using that product or service.
- Education: Voice-overs are great at explaining concepts and teaching people how to do something new. They're ideal, for example, if you want to create an instructional video on a particular subject—like craft tutorials or how to use a specific app.
- Digital: With so many people turning to social media for information—Facebook, YouTube and the like—it's important that you optimise your message in order to better convey what it is that you do. One great way of doing this? Voice-overs!
5 Steps to Record a Voice-Over
The voice-over industry can be tough to break into, but there are a few ways you can stand out as a great voice-over artist. Before recording your first project, check out these tips:
- Find a quiet room. Professional voice actors often make their own studios at home by soundproofing a room, eliminating background noise. If you don’t have a dedicated recording space and limited room to work with, consider using your closet. Recording in a smaller room with fewer distractions will produce less reverberation or echo. A microphone picks up sounds, so make sure the space you're recording in is as soundproof as possible by using foam or thick blankets and sealing any gaps under doors.
- Do vocal warmups. Warming up your voice is an essential part of preparing for a voice-over job or voice-over audition. It's important to use vocal warm-ups and breathing exercises before you begin recording, because they can help you ease into the “recording voice” with proper breath support and clarity.
- Enunciate. Voice-over artists must pronounce words so that they can be understood by the audience. Regardless of whether a visual aid is used, the audience should be able to understand what is being said. When delivering information or dialogue, clarity is essential.
- Pacing. Pacing is key to successful voice-over recording. Voice artists should take into account how fast or slow information is delivered so that listeners aren’t bored or confused. Pay attention to how fast or slowly you speak in a conversation. If your normal pace is fast, practice reading aloud at a slower rate but not so much that it sounds unnatural. If you read slowly, increase your reading speed by small amounts until the pace feels natural.
- Use quality equipment. If you’re recording your own audio at home, the equipment that you use can make a significant difference in the quality of your performance. Use the best equipment you can afford. Post-production software can only edit sound so much, so you need to make sure your equipment is of good quality. You don’t need to buy expensive equipment; there are a lot of good recording options available at all price levels.
Companies, brands and businesses are using video content to reach their audience in a way that is not only more memorable but also more effective.
However, the use of voice-over for your video content has proven to be just as important.
In fact, 43% of consumers say that video is the most memorable type of content shared by companies today but don't forget to utilise voice-over for your video content.
For those of you who are on a budget, here's some quality equipment for your voice over production that won't break the bank.
First, let's start with Adobe Audition: This is a powerful audio editing software that provides a wide range of options for recording, editing and mixing audio tracks. It's an essential tool for any professional voice actor or podcaster.
Next up is Audacity: A free and open-source software for recording and editing sounds. It’s great if you're just starting out and don’t have much money to spend on recording equipment.
Then there's SoundTrap: A music creation app that allows you to create songs by mixing loops together in real time. You can also record your own vocals as well as other instruments straight from your device!
Last but not least we have Rode NT-USB Condenser Microphone: An affordable USB microphone with high build quality that delivers clear recordings every time!
We will help you to get the best out of your video project – Feel free to contact us!
A brand video comes to life when you add music and sound effects. This gives your message more impact. Adding videos with voice-overs is a smart addition to your marketing strategy, no matter what type of digital platform you're targeting.